College Hoops, the only place where Head & Shoulders got it wrong...
QUICK BUFFET ADDENDUM -- It looks as though we're staring at 7 teams for 5 spots (in current order of likelihood of a bid), only 2 of which can do any more resume improvement and/or win their tournament and discard the whole at-large invite nonsense:
- Wake Forest
- Kansas State
- Rhode Island
- Illinois State
After a day that featured 7 OT periods (4 alone out in the WAC) and 21 games at 8 points or less, Selection Sunday Eve was everything we hyped it to be. Here's what we know:
- Kansas State has likely played its way in
- Jerry Palm is going to have to find room for Vanderbilt in his bracket
- Northwestern is going to be wearing white jerseys in its first every tournament
- Rhode Island is pushing itself towards a bid, and suddenly VCU is playing for its tournament life.
- Dayton's place in line isn't so safe despite winning the A-10 regular season title
- Wisconsin has righted their ship
- Seton Hall will be seeing that point blank miss to tie against Villanova in their minds for a long while
- And Villanova is all class:
And if you didn't see this:
you missed the best drama of it all yesterday --
that grin at the end #savage
What to watch for today:
FIRST EVER IVY TOURNAMENT
- AMERICA EAST AUTOBID ALERT: Vermont v. Albany
- North Carolina Central tries to finish what the 2015 Undefeated in MEAC Play couldn't as they and Norfolk play for the MEAC Auto
- Can Davidson keep playing bid thief? Can Rhode Island - and that's a double-sided question because perhaps they've taken a bid already, at-large style.
Michigan, Minnesota, Northwestern & Wisconsin -- all safely in, and not the Big10 tournament final four anyone was expected before the season. Michigan & Northwestern look to continue their ascendancy up the seed list...
Vandy & Arkansas are in the SEC Semifinal of teams who every prognosticator wants to look at their resume, see not as much as you'd think and find ways to keep them out - but you can't.
VCU plays for what could be their tournament life versus Richmond, as it's getting CROWDED at the front of the waiting line...
It's everyone's favorite time of year -- CONNECTICUT. CINCINNATI. AAC CONFERENCE TOURNAMENT, lest you forgot...
Then at about 5:30pm ET, it's an autobid bonanza:
- 530p: Big East: 6 Creighton v. 1 Villanova
- 6p: Mountain West: 2 Colorado State v. 1 Nevada
- 6p: Big12: 4 Iowa State v. 2 West Virginia
- 630p: SWAC: 2 Alcorn St. v. 1 Texas Southern
- 730p: MAC: 6 Kent St v. 1 Akron
- 830p: Big Sky: 3 Weber State v. 1 North Dakota
- 830p: Conference USA: 6 Marshall v. 1 Middle Tennesee
- subplot here - has Middle Tennessee done enough to earn a trip to the Buffet win or lose? Or did they need Louisiana Tech to beat Marshall last night to protect the downside impact on their resume of a championship game loss
- 900p: 5 Duke (no ACC team has won the tournament from the 5-hole) v 3 Notre Dame (Mike Bray is a wizard)
- 930: Southland: Texas A&M-Corpus Christi (THE ISLANDERS!!) v. 1 New Orleans
- 11p: WAC: New Mexico State (what else is new) vs. 1 Cal-Bakersfield (how much to CSB have left in the tank after their 4 OT thriller (if by thriller you mean, couldn't throw rocks in the ocean, but they and Utah Valley couldn't throw them at the same exact pace)
- 11p: Pac-12: 2 Arizona v. 1 Oregon
- 1130p: Big West: 2. UC-Davis v. 1 UC-Irvine
That's 13 tournament finals today... Get your plates out ya'll it's automatic invitation day
A Boop and a Bracket will be coming later today as well...